Friday, September 7, 2007

Sprint Watched You As A Child

Check out this new-ish Sprint commercial. I saw this before the last couple movies I've seen, and on TV a few other times.



I find this commercial stylish, creative and mind-blowingly stupid. What did you dream of as a child? Space travel? Time travel? Or MAYBE you dreamed of a cell phone with photo and music capabilities, you borderline retarded and bizarre child!

What the hell? I don't know what kind of psychotic childhoods the people at Sprint had, but I most certainly was not dreaming of cell phones with photo and music capabilities when I went to sleep. I mostly dreamt of being a basketball star, or flying, or Corn Pops.

The most insulting thing about this is that the narrator changes tense and perspective, suddenly going from asking me questions to knowing me as a child. Creepy. "That was your dream" he says, after expounding on various cell phone capabilities. "And with the magic of Sprint, it all came true." What a comforting thought. I did not become an astronaut. I failed to travel in time. But thanks to Sprint, my childhood dreams have been realized. Thanks Sprint, you're the bestest!

I'm unclear on why they even went this route with the ad, which attempts (badly) to connect Sprint cell phone service with childhood nostalgia. Childhood nostalgia is for like Oreo cookie commercials. Cell phones with streaming content are what non-morons call "technology". You should either show the features (iphone, Music Hunter) or show tech-savvy-not-but-absurdly-dorky people involved with the product (Verizon guy, Cingular Asian guy during NCAA tournaments).

I'm done ranting about this. I'm really not, but everything else I want to say is just some variation of something I've already said, so it's time to stop. Sprint sucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a magic screen... idiot.

Eric Ma said...

I would like Geico to parody this. "Maybe you dreamed of saving 15% on your car insurance..."