Monday, September 10, 2007

Miscellaneous Monday

I have a lot of half-written blog entries, based on ideas that I initially think merit a full entry. Then I make one joke and realize I really have nothing else to say. Since today is a slow day inside my brain, let's just clean up all my half-ass entries and a few other spare thoughts.
-----------
I absolutely love this whole Senator Larry Craig story, I find everything about it completely hilarious. Especially his claim that he adopted a "wide stance" and "leaned forward" because he was having what the Mexicans call "problemas" on the toilet. In college, Rich once told me that in fact one should do exactly the opposite when faced with such "problemas". I asked him how he knew this, and he said he had a friend who "knows about these sorts of things". I always wondered who this was.

Some people were surprised a conservative anti-gay senator would try to have sex with other dudes in a public restroom, but ever since Chris Kattan announced his engagement (to a woman!) I've come to accept that anything is possible.
-----------
Why is it an outrage than Apple dropped the iPhone price by $200? If I make something, I should be able to sell it for whatever I damn well please. And I should be able to change my mind on that whenever I damn well please. If you agreed to buy the iPhone at $599, that meant you wanted the iPhone more than you wanted 599 dollars. You experienced what economists call "consumer surplus". Apple gave you a fair deal. You know how I know it's fair? Because you bought it, that's why. If it were "overpriced", you wouldn't have gotten one. Whether other people get it months later for less has no bearing on the fairness of the original economic trade.

People need to shut up. Apple shouldn't have to give anyone anything. They already did those people a favor. They gave them a product they would have paid more than $599 for, but only asked for $599 back. But as usual, whiny bitches get rewarded.
------------
I find mayonnaise really gross, but if you add some food coloring and call it aioli or "special sauce", then it's all good.
------------
If you like tennis, I can instantly name about 42 states I am 100% sure you do not live in. Roger Federer just won the U.S. Open, concluding a tournament with the best U.S. Open total attendance in history. And the highlights struggled to even crack the first 30 minutes of that night's SportsCenter. SportsCenter would rather air "Fact or Fiction: Stuart Scott has no friends" than show tennis highlights. Unless you live or are from a coast (and not like, the Gulf Coast), nobody, and I mean nobody, cares at all about tennis. What a shame. Oh, and in case you're curious, that is a FACT, Stuart Scott does not have any friends.
----------
Beef is so absurdly delicious, I got to wondering how much they would have to charge for beef for me to stop eating beef. $20 a pound, I'm definitely still eating beef. $30? $40? Even at $100 a pound, I think I would still at least occasionally have some beef, like to celebrate a special occasion. It's just too damn good. What is your beef price point? I can't decide what mine is.

How could a non-religious person be a vegetarian? It boggles the mind. Once my cousin Bryce randomly decided to become a vegetarian, ostensibly for health reasons. I didn't see him for a few years, and when we met again he was no longer a vegetarian, he said he missed beef too much. In related news, Bryce also had long hair during this phase. His family refuses to display pictures of him from this time period, which makes sense to me, if the reason is the vegetarian thing.

5 comments:

madphoenix50 said...

Well abalone is something like $50/lb but I manage to eat some even though I don't really like it. Really, I'd probably eat it at any price point. If it was the price of a white truffle, you'd just eat beef shavings.

I'll have to try that poop advice sometime.

Your ad banners are disturbingly gay. I think Google recognizes that you keep posting about gay guys.

Anonymous said...

what a magical entry...miscellaneously

Eric Ma said...

Maybe that's a function of your own settings on google - I keep seeing these banner ads for weight loss clinics.

Anonymous said...

I am sure you thought of this but decided to skip over it because it makes the situation slightly less mockable, but maybe the expectation that the Iphones would stay at the original prices was part of the utility calculation for some of those who bought those things early. So, when those people thought the phones would keep selling at $599 and therefore give some weird prestige (or other differentiating feelings) to those who have them, the value of the phone > $599. When the prices dropped, maybe that changed in some of those people's minds.

Eric Ma said...

I hear you on the economic theory of it, that indeed that feeling of prestige is meaningful to some people (particularly apple users).

In any case I find it ludicrous that Apple should be expected to make future pricing decisions based on previous buyers' perceived drop in prestige.