Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I Got Served

The e-mail server went down today at work, which meant I had to call this third-party IT manager to get our system back up and running.
--------------------------------------------
"Hello, this is Lisa. How may I help you today?"
"Hey Lisa, my name is Eric Ma, I work for blah blah blah. Our system is down, we can't send any e-mails."
"Okay, I'll be happy to help fix the problem Mr. Ma."
"Great."
"What is the unit?"
"What?"
"What is the unit?"
"What?"
[Pause]
"Sir, in order to process this claim, I will need the unit."
"What - what is a unit?"
"Sir, what is the problem you are experiencing?"
"The server is down, I can't send any e-mails."
"Okay, I'm forwarding your request to a technician."
"Okay."
[Pause]
"I just need one thing before I forward this on - what is the unit?"
"What?"
"Sir, the technician will need to know the unit before he can process the ticket."
"I don't think I know what a unit is - what is a unit?"
[Pause]
"Please hold while I transfer you."
---------------------------------------------------------
"Hello, this is James, customer service - how may I help you?"
"Hey James, our e-mail server is down."
"Okay, we'll get to work on that right now."
"Thanks - do you need the unit?"
"What?"
---------------------------------------------------------
Nothing was embellished here. Word for word. Except "James". It sounded like he said "Thames", but that's just not a name.

4 comments:

Juka said...

I love nonsensical conversations with tech support. I've definitely had my share. My favorite was when I needed some password to get into an account, but in order to give me a password hint, they needed...my password.

vishal said...

you think i should quit marketing and go into it?

Eric Ma said...

Go into tech support? Sure, I mean, if you relish causing frustration

Anonymous said...

lol, that's just funny.