Monday, February 2, 2009

Movies Reviewed By My Dad: The Visitor

If you watch a lot of movies, or follow the Academy Awards, you may have seen (or at least heard of) "The Visitor", a heartfelt/boring human drama, for which lead actor Richard Jenkins has been nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award.

I happened to see the movie on a plane, and while I appreciate the performances and the subtlety, what I just said is really a complete lie. It's undeniably well done for what it is, but the movie is just not an appealing experience to me, unless I was trying to sink into depression as slowly as possible.

My dad mentioned he was about to watch the movie last week, and I told him I didn't think it was his type of film, that it was too slow-paced and not concerning a subject he would care about. He watched it the other day, and we had the following exchange:

Dad: I watched "The Visitor" last night. It was OK but not very good.
Me: It was slow and boring, right?
Dad: Yes. The good thing is the English is also very slow so I got most of the words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my parents also appreciate broadway shows/musicals with little/or no english or english spoken very slowly.

Ali K. said...

i love your dads review
its so painfully similar to many of my own dads reviews