Monday, February 2, 2009

The Question Mark Guy

You'll never guess who I saw last week.
If you're like me, then you've probably seen this guy on cable at some point:


Thursday morning, 6:35 AM EST at Dulles International Airport. I've just walked off a redeye flight from LAX, and am in a state of half-consciousness with my eyes half open. Walking towards me is a guy in a suit...a black suit...covered with pink question marks. At first, I assume I am just having some post-redeye hallucinations. I tell myself this isn't reality, but the 9 Mexican guys who just got off their airport shift are also seeing what I'm seeing. As he walks closer, it's increasingly clear that this is indeed the world-famous question mark suit guy.

Let me emphasize, he's WEARING a question mark suit.

That he apparently defiles all of his suits by covering them with question marks, and then proceeds to live his daily life wearing these suits is...simply phenomenal. I later learned that he drives a Scion, with, of course, orange question marks painted all over the exterior.

His name is Matthew Lesko, and his ravings about "FREE MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT!" have filled the cable commercial airwaves for years, as he apparently finds a never ending stream of fools to buy his book of secrets. He's so ubiquitous, that Googling "question mark guy" yields a preposterously high number of correct hits, including one person who decided to ask all of cyberspace on Yahoo! Answers whether they would marry the question mark guy. (The "best" answer says yes, because he's a "dynamo in bed".)

I may need to revise my best celebrity sightings list.

3 comments:

Navid Samadani-McQuirk said...

I think his daughter went to Princeton while we were there...And I believe you're correct about him ALWAYS wearing a suit with question marks.

Anonymous said...

one time, karen and i visited dc for 4 days. i saw mr. lesko three separate times in three separate locations. two green suits with yellow ?s, and one red suit with green ?s. but karen did not see him even once. so maybe it really was a hallucination. maybe it was the riddler. i did not walk away with any government grants.

Eric Ma said...

Do you want $10,000 from the GOVERNMENT to learn to PLAY THE PIANO!?!?!