Thursday, March 5, 2009

Asian Adventures, Vol. IV

Been a while since I shared some secret information about Asian people. Here’s something you may not know – many Asian people, particularly parents, are loathe to remove the protective plastic film that comes on handheld electronics, like a camera, cell phone, or iPod (hat tip to Katie on this). Asians have been known to leave the sticky plastic sheet on their gadgets as long as humanly possible, even though the manufacturer really intends for them to remove it immediately. Many times, this protective plastic film becomes unbearably dirty or frayed, causing outsiders to ask said Asian why he or she still has the plastic film on. Popular responses include: “Why would I take it off?”, “So I don’t get it all scratched up” or my personal favorite, “I like the feeling you get when you eventually do take the plastic off – it’s like you have a brand new iPod!”. You might be thinking “that’s so stupid”. In response, I would say, “your face is stupid! OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!”. Then I would run/jump around you in a circle, barking like DMX and triumphantly celebrate my complete verbal domination of you. Look at you. You’re pathetic.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

eric, thank you for reminding me I am not alone.

I once left a cherished stuffed animal in plastic wrap for a few years, until someone in college told me that it was unacceptable.

Maggie Moooo said...

So true...the plastic on my 1 year old digital frame hanging in my living room is still on the screen. my friend ripped off the plastic on my blackberry when i first got it and i was so pissed i didn't talk to him for a week. i still think he owes me a new blackberry. this phenomenon is also closely related to asians buying new things (or clothese in my aunt's case) and hesistant to use them...

Anonymous said...

but now my stuffed animal is really dirty. i wish i had left the plastic on.

jenn said...

The plastic film is still on the face of my radio alarm clock. That I got as a graduation gift. For graduating from high school. In 1996. Why? Because some day I'm going to want a new radio alarm clock, and rather than buying a new one I'm just going to remove that film. (Although we all know that I am never, ever, ever going to remove it.)

vishal said...

absolutely ridiculous.

madphoenix50 said...

I went to China and I saw one guy lift the plastic half way off his laptop, rub off some of the stuff that stuck on it, and then press it back down.

I also kept the stickers on my camera for 2 years. The ones that list the camera specs. Then within one week, two different people asked me if I just bought my camera. It finally struck me that I should remove them.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, so true...Persians like to go a step further and ADD plastic to other things that should never have plastic on them, like the couch they bought in 1984, and has always been covered in plastic. You know, just in case the Queen decides to pop in for a cup of afternoon tea, and voila! You have a spotless (and severely out of fashion) couch!

Anonymous said...

to those who wish to preserve the quality of the plastic cover, i recommend trying to clean that frayed or curled edge with rubbing alcohol--should wash away the dirt and leave the fresh/clean/sticky surface for reapplication!

Eric Ma said...

Some of these comments are alarming

Anonymous said...

Has anyone's parents taken the next step and used saran wrap to wrap up remote controls? Or are my parents going too far?

Eric Ma said...

Wait...the saran wrap goes over the buttons on the remote?

Unknown said...

So true. Don't forget about the labels that come on the product outlining its features (cameras, camcorders, printers, scanners) that also remain unremoved. If children were born with stickers on them you could bet that they'd get some serious nagging when they tried to rebel as teens by peeling them off. "Aiya! Jeffrey! Don't take off that sticker! How else will everyone know what a good deal you were?"

Unknown said...

I find it interesting that this is your most commented-on entry. I actually always take the covers off things as soon as I can. :(