Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ridiculous Pricing: Marc Jacobs

Out of curiosity, several months ago I signed up for clothing sale notifications from Gilt Groupe, an online "sample sale" reseller for high-end luxury brands. The enterprising ladies who started the business were smart enough to know that adding a completely unnecessary "e" to the end of the word "Group" would hold great appeal for their targeted customer base. It's also "invitation-only", so Balenciaga won't have to endure the massive humiliation of seeing their products show up on a Google Shopping search, but anyone can get "invited".

I never buy anything from sales on this site, but I sometimes log in to the sales, because it's just funny to see 1) what some of these items cost and 2) what apparently qualifies as a luxury good. In a new recurring feature on this blog, I'm going to post pictures of items, and their original retail and sale prices. Trust me, you're going to enjoy this. Today's items courtesy of Marc Jacobs.


Have you ever thought to yourself, "man, I have way too many shirts. I want to have fewer shirts, but I can't decide which ones to get rid of"? If so, Marc Jacobs has an elegant, sophisticated solution - cut two of your shirts in half, poorly, and then stitch the non-matching halves together to make only one shirt! It's brilliant, you retain the essence of both of your favorite shirts while simultaneously freeing up closet space. But now you're probably thinking, "who has the time to do all that cutting and sewing?" Well Marc Jacobs has thought of that too - he already did it for you! And he'll give you back the remnants of your old shirts for only $198.00 on Gilt Groupe. (You're not going to believe the original retail price on this "shirt" - it was $950.00. The notion that people were spending $950.00 to buy this shirt makes me feel like we deserve to be in a massive economic depression.)


I know what you're thinking - you're thinking "wow, that is an awesome shirt". And you're right. Because it's a shirt, which, in itself, is already great. It provides warmth for your upper body and allows you entry into places that require wearing a shirt. Second, it has an apple on it, and apples are both delicious and nutritious. Third, the apple is open, so you can see the core, which symbolizes others being able to see your core when they see you with this shirt on. And chicks dig symbolism. All this awesomeness can be yours for $78.00, which is the Marc Jacobs bargain of a lifetime. Even its original retail price of $330.00 was, to be honest, already the bargain of a lifetime. Are you still not sold? Oh I see, you're concerned there might be something lame and stupid on the back. Let me assure you, that is not at all the case.

See? Bargain of a lifetime at $78.00 before tax and shipping. I think the shirt is even 100% cotton!

6 comments:

Juka said...

I am a huge fan of your new feature. Also, is that clothing model the one that Marc Jacobs actually uses? I am sort of stunned if it is.

Eric Ma said...

Haha it's not - the reseller has its own models to model the clothing. As you can see, they are of a slightly lower caliber.

Anonymous said...

You're not paying for the actual article of clothing. You're paying for the right to sport that douchey smirk on your face that you can only get from knowing that you paid $200 for a shirt.

Alyssa said...

How could I NOT comment on a Marc Jacobs post!? (p.s. - I have a good idea - replace all your sports posts with fashion posts = happy alyssa)

I am a little surprised that you didn't comment on the weird length of the apple t-shirt. It covers his (what I imagine to be very shapely) butt. Marc is an appreciator of the male butt. What gives, Marc?

Also, stop picking on MJ. He's a visionary, ok?

XOXO
Gossip Girl

~ Hermelynda ~
Walking with Wisdom Leading My Steps
said...

lol bullseye!!! You said it best!!

heman said...

i love gilt groupE and ruelala...