Monday, January 22, 2007

NEXT!

Confession: despite my better instincts, on occasion (think 3 or 4 am), I watch MTV's dating show "Next", which may or may not qualify me for automatic admission into level seven of hell. Alas, you are what you are, and I've seen at least 20 episodes of the show. Or 30. Man, I really hope it's not more than 30.

Like all MTV dating shows, it's substantially scripted - so I got to wondering who writes the copy for the show. I've already had experience writing large amounts of meaningless shit meant to blend in with the background (and no, I don't mean this blog). In my senior year of high school, I somehow got roped into being the copy editor for our yearbook, which was this 900-some page behemoth that I believe was the largest high school yearbook in the United States. All I really did was proof some stuff and write some vomit-inducing blurbs when text was needed. "Dedication. Discipline. Devotion. This year's Associated Student Body officers brought their passion and energy to great events like the Winter Formal and the Tricycle Karaoke Contest." Nothing too hard, never took more than 10 minutes to write, everyone seemed happy with the results. My one vivid memory is that I was asked to submit a writing sample, so, solely for the purposes of the sample, I invented a story where a bunch of people I wasn't really friends with got into some kind of water balloon and food fight - hilarity clearly ensues. The "teacher" liked the sample, so I became copy editor. To my horror, this 100% fake story somehow became the featured copy on page 5 of the yearbook, which I did not learn until the yearbook came out. No one ever said anything to me about it, which I suppose is proof positive that no one reads the copy in a yearbook in the first place.

The writing in "Next" is, much like the copy in my yearbook, both frequent and irrelevant. When daters first get introduced, they have to explain why they will win - there's a nice literalism to these encounters that I like. "I'm Lisa, I'm 22, and he'll pick me because I'm a southern sweetheart with some city cool" "I'm Tracy, I'm 23, and he's going to choose me because my breasts are so huge I have severe back problems! Whooo!" Then, I always like the rhyming the narrator has to do after the premise of the show is explained and the daters are presented. "Pablo is looking for a girl with the right stuff. These ladies hope Pablo's body is buff. But will one of them take the money, and leave Pablo in a huff? Find out, on NEXT!" Then a dater comes out of the bus, three "facts" come up, which are invariably the stupidest set of fake things you can think of. "Once ate a live cricket in Tanzania" "Is afraid of white tablecloths" "Collects underwear from old women". Now, armed with this incredible arsenal of knowledge all dreamed up by some copy writers and editors, the show can begin.

I think I might like to be a copy writer for "Next" - there literally seem to be no standards, you can just say anything since the kind of people who the show is intended for are probably listening to The Click Five and just have an eye on the TV to see if anyone will start making out. Seems like it could be a fun job to do with your friends. And it's not even THAT shameful - I think MTV has about 5 or 6 shows that are, almost unbelievably, considerably worse than "Next".

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do tell what shows are worse than "Next"

Eric Ma said...

Shows on MTV in recent times that are worse than "Next":
1) "I Want a Famous Face"
2) "Room Raiders"
3) "Yo Momma"
4) "Engaged and Underage"
5) "Exposed"

Anonymous said...

i wish mtv would bring back "singled out"

Edward said...

i like exposed

Greg Lee said...

when does mtv actually play music? also, it'd be great if you met up with one of your high school "buddies" who was in the fake story, and he goes on to reminisce about that time they had a water balloon and food fight.

Eric Ma said...

"Singled Out" was better - I liked early "Blind Date" better because it seemed unscripted, so there was a bigger range of possibilities - but they could only find ugly people to be on the show after a while, so no one, including me, really wanted to watch anymore.

Ed, "Exposed" is a terrible show. There's no interaction other than an endless barrage of idiotic questions, and people don't even choose based on who was telling the truth. While "Next" might be 10% unscripted, everything in "Exposed" must be scripted. It's nearly impossible for an untrained person to hold a regular conversation with one person while someone else is talking into their earpiece. You ever seen when contestants on "Dream Job" try to do that? Not to mention I don't think voice modulation software even works for lie detection. And for a scripted show, it's not really too interesting. "How many people have you slept with?" "Three" "OOOH that's a LIE!" Okay, great, that's a lie.

You might reasonably ask, "Eric, how do you know so much about a show you claim to hate? Answer that one Eric, you douche." Well, the show is filmed in a park that's less than a 10 minute drive from my old house, and I was just at this park in late December, so I get kind of a kick seeing it on TV - that kick is wearing off, but for now, it's why I've seen like 3 episodes of the show.

The show sucks. I'm not judging you personally, we all watch a lot of stuff that sucks. But it sucks.

vishal said...

1. wait, what park?
2. he's gonna pick me because im a barista, and i'll make him a frap-a-me-no.. i finally saw that episode this weekend.
3. where in the senior yearbook is this? all i see is pictures on page 5, including one of ali about 85 pounds ago.. and at 900 pages, tahts too much for me to flip through.

Anonymous said...

All those shows you mentioned remind me of the tshows at Dillon while I was on the treadmill. Can you write some commentary on The Hills? or Two-A-Days? Now those are the ones I would procrastinate for.
Reading your blog made me go on to mtv.com. Now I'm watching a Paris Hilton music video on it.

vishal said...

its page 22

Anonymous said...

I want an article about sports.
NEXT!