Sunday, October 21, 2007

In A While, Crocodile

As far as controversial decisions go, my purchase of two Lacoste polo shirts a couple weeks ago probably doesn't rank above my decision not to attend Caltech, but it was still an agonizing struggle for me. I received an excellent coupon (I would never pay full price for those shirts), but it still wasn't an easy decision.

I've long been anti-Lacoste, consciously deciding not to join my fellow yuppies in their adherence to this classic (uninteresting?) French brand. There were a number of reasons - first, in college, lots of hate-worthy people wore Lacoste shirts, and I (unfairly, because a lot of my friends wear Lacoste) associated the shirts and the logo to what scientists might call "being a douche". But mainly, I was under the impression that people bought them simply because they were more expensive. At least at first blush, I couldn't discern any meaningful quality difference between Lacoste polos and Ralph Lauren polos priced for $25 less. The proliferation of fake Lacoste shirts from Asia (and everyone's inability to tell the difference) only served to confirm this in my head. It wasn't that I was trying to be cheap - I just didn't feel like I would be getting premium quality for the premium price.

Nonetheless, the coupon eliminated my whole price gripe, so I decided to explore the possibility of breaking my Lacoste ban. A quick look at the website was not heartening: the models all look like complete idiots. A quick sampling:

http://shopapparel.lacoste.com/p/Short-Sleeve-Classic-Pique-Polo/B000PYBWY4
http://shopapparel.lacoste.com/p/MultiStripe-Pique-Polo/B000W19HYM


I asked some friends if I should buy a couple shirts. Interestingly, they were all completely sure that I should, which resonated strongly. Amanda and Stephanie even reached "adamant" territory that these shirts were legitimately $25 better than those of rival brands. They were "high-quality", "slightly retro", "better fabric", "more breathable". In particular, I was intrigued by the argument that Lacoste shirts are more durable, and hold their shape better over time.

So I bought a couple and with the coupon, I really didn't pay very much. When they came in the mail, I examined the products. The fabric and texture both appear and feel identical to this Ralph Lauren polo shirt I have. I tried one on, and can report that I started to feel like a more durable person immediately.

I wore both shirts this weekend. Hopefully nobody saw me both days, because then they would think that's all I wear. As far as being more breathable, it's tough for me to say. I'm not a very sweaty guy, and I didn't really push myself to the physical limit in these shirts. So I'm most intrigued by my friends' assessment of durability and shape-holding over time. I'm not going to take any better care of these shirts than any of my other clothes. I will be able to report the results of this controlled scientific experiment later on. You will all have to wait until then.

6 comments:

vishal said...

i prefer to buy them on sale as well, but i have paid full price. they seem to hold up pretty well and i do like the material better than the polos i have, so perhaps your friends are correct. however, if you ever wear both shirts together and pop each collar, i will be forced to fly to washington dc so i can kick your ass.

Anonymous said...

WTF. Why didn't you SHARE your coupon with your Lacoste-LOVING friends.

Welcome to the club. Biotch.

Eric Ma said...

Hey Kat!

Anonymous said...

BIOTCH!

It's because I said "Biotch." I bet you no one else calls you that.

Anyway, what's the point of the "Anonymous" option if I'm not truly going to be "Anonymous"?" HMMM?

Anonymous said...

The best halloween costume i saw so far were 2 guys dressed in lacoste polos (pink) with the requisite popped collar, cargo shorts, and trucker hat off to the side...when asked what they were..."I'm a douchebag" was the response.
The best part was they kept going around saying things like "Oh, don't worry, my dad owns some dealerships"
you are one trucker hat worn to the side away from being a douchebag...tread carefully

Eric Ma said...

HAHAHA - the best thing about that Ido, is that that was literally going to be my costume until Hsueh talked me out of it.