Thursday, August 16, 2007

Did Somebody Say...McDonalds?

Do you guys still eat at McDonalds? Ali asked me about this the other day, and I realized I hadn't eaten there since August 2005, which was creepily specific, but nonetheless true. So I've now gone two years without once eating at McDonalds (excluding the time last month I got a Powerade there for 49 cents).

Two years marks the longest period in life I have gone without eating a meal at McDonalds, and I don't miss anything from their menu. I don't like their meat, their cheese, their buns or their toppings. If I want a burger, I can't imagine why I would ever go to McDonalds over In-N-Out or Shake Shack or 1000 other burger places. I used to eat their Chicken McNuggets, but then they made this horribly misinformed decision and eliminated all the "dark meat" nuggets, which, as anyone I trust with regards to food will tell you, are the only ones you really want. In fact, if I made a list of every fast food place out there, McDonalds would only beat out Hardees and possibly Burger King.

Stuff like "Super Size Me" and "Fast Food Nation" isn't really what turned me off to McDonald's, though I admit it doesn't help. I do think for the level of damage you're doing to your body, more deliciousness should be required.

Even their massive advertising budget has ceased to have any effect on me. As a kid, McDonalds had some classic advertising, like the Michael Jordan/Larry Bird game of horse. And Grimace, the purple blob that can't talk, but don't get me started on that. Now it's just a slew of crap, much of it painfully attempting to be hip. I cringe all the time at McDonalds commercials these days. The worst ones I ever saw were the various "rap" songs promoting McGriddles, showing people (who would get their ass beat if they looked that corny in those neighborhoods) devoting their day to eating McGriddles. Eventually this gave way to the marginally less stupid "a woman is like a McGriddle" metaphor commercial where this bitch totally eats this guy's McGriddle without even asking him, forcing him to go buy another one. Unfortunately I can't find any of these commercials online, because generally, nobody bothers to post terrible commercials. Except for this one.

This isn't an anti-McDonalds manifesto, really just wondering if anyone else stopped eating there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am leaving for china, so I thought i'd comment on your blog one last time before i can no longer access it. imagine my surprise and delight to discover this new entry!

i don't eat at mcdonalds anymore, but this was not until fairly recently... i.e. the end of my collegiate fencing career. oddly enough, despite all the knowledge we have on the link between the food you eat and your ability to perform well both athletically and intellectually, fencing team bus rides were often rife with fast food pit stops. i attribute this to the general lack of civilization between princeton and places like state college, PA, ithaca, NY, and Durham, NC. That last trip was particularly painful... I think i made it four times, and the second to last time it took us 15 hours to get home. at one point, people got out of the bus and started running around on the freeway because we hadn't moved more than 50 feet in half an hour. we also let some rando girl from a neighboring car use our on-the-bus toilet.

madphoenix50 said...

I just ate there this morning. I felt a little ill for a few hours afterwords. Deluxe breakfast of 3 pancakes, a sausage patty, biscuit, omelette, and hash browns.

Basically when I'm travelling for work and I'm in the middle of nowhere, I'm going to MCD.

Eric Ma said...

Haha, that breakfast is literally significantly over 100% of your suggested daily intake of fat and saturated fat.

On the plus side, the deluxe breakfast is high in iron.

madphoenix50 said...

Did you really mean the best commercial ever?

Eric Ma said...

Haha, did you see the link? Yeah, it's maybe the greatest commercial ever to hit television.

Thank goodness for Alabama.

Julius said...

What about the fries? I'd take them over anyone else's.