Saturday, February 10, 2007

Life Comes At You Fast

Oftentimes, a friend of mine will say something like "can you believe how old we are?" or "can you believe how much time is passed?", or one of my favorites, "I can't believe we're adults now". It's supposed to imply how different we are compared to "before". In light of this, I'd like to take a moment and examine my life now, versus an arbitrary prior point in time, and see how much I have changed and/or matured. Let's pick 1997 - that was a solid year, I "graduated" middle school (my dad: "What? I have to attend a ceremony for you passing the 8th grade? That's not an accomplishment - you mean there are people who DON'T pass that?"), was a legitimate teenager the whole year, and generally had a ball.

Automobile:
1997: Did not have a car
2007: Do not have a car

Milk:
1997: Drank 1.25 gallons a week
2007: Mildly lactose intolerant (a glass of milk will make me all gassy, and I've yet to completely convert to soy milk for some reason, even though I really like it)


Favorite Athlete:
1997: Ken Griffey, Jr. and Eddie Jones
2007: Think it is silly to have a favorite athlete, but if forced to choose, I would say Ken Griffey, Jr. and Eddie Jones. I was telling Justin the other day, I think you can parse between fake Laker fans and real ones with one question - how did you feel when the Lakers traded away Eddie Jones?

Favorite Television Show:
1997: Seinfeld - I haven't watched this lately. Hopefully it still holds up well after the Michael Richards stuff. I'm normally pretty good about not letting celebrity personal issues affect what I watch on screen - like, I still like watching Tom Cruise, so I'm optimistic.
2007: The Office - The Office has been ridiculously on fire for the last 25 episodes or so. I assume you're already watching it, or have had 900 people tell you to watch it, so if you're not watching it, allow me to be person #901. Watch "The Office". I don't get a lot of satisfaction out of listening to some minor indie band that only 10 other people know about and feeling better than everyone else because I listen to music that only elite people are cool enough to enjoy. Similarly, I don't like watching a tv show when there's no one else to talk about it with. So watch. And we shall discuss.

Guilty Pleasure Television Show:
1997: Salute Your Shorts
2007: Real World/Road Rules Challenge

Thoughts on Dancing:
1997: Wanted to learn to breakdance
2007: Want to learn to breakdance


NFL Combine Data:
1997: 5'11", 130 lbs, 225-lb bench press reps: impossible, 40-yard dash: slow, vertical leap: 13 inches
2007: 6'3", (maybe 6'2.5"), 185 lbs, 225-lb bench press reps: impossible, 40-yard dash: very, very slow, vertical leap: depressing. Although I think my hand size got slightly bigger. I think they measure that. And I might do better on the Wonderlic.








Favorite Album:
1997: New Edition - "Home Again", Aaliyah - "One in a Million"
2007: Talib Kweli - "Reflection Eternal", Nas - "Stillmatic". I still listen to New Edition though. It's really weird, as I get older, my fondness for music that was before my time keeps growing. So while I'm still listening to New Edition, now I'm listening to "If It Isn't Love" or even the really old school stuff like "Candy Girl", "Cool It Now" and "Mr. Telephone Man". It's as though my dissatisfaction with new music has caused me to age backwards into time or something. Oh and I like Phil Collins. And the Gin Blossoms. And the theme song to "Party of Five". Those aren't albums, huh? I also really liked the theme song to "Growing Pains"...you know, "show me that smile (ooh show me that smile)...don't waste another minute on your crying....we're nowhere near the end (we're nowhere near), the best is ready toooo beginnnnn...AS LONG AS WE GOT EACH OTHER (doo doo doo doo)..." Vanessa told me at work she really likes some new singer named Robin Thicke, who I found out is Alan Thicke's (dad from Growing Pains) son! So I went on YouTube and saw the video - he really resembles his dad, which I found very very creepy.

Favorite School Subject:
1997: Math
2007: I'm not in school, but the answer sure as hell isn't math.

Favorite Article of Clothing:
1997: An Adidas t-shirt detailing why the Adidas logo has 3 stripes
2007: A t-shirt with the California bear on it. And a pair of jeans from the Gap. Yep, I still shop at the Gap.

Chest Hair:
1997: None
2007: Does 10 small fuzzy hairs count?

Shaving:
1997: Unnecessary
2007: I shave every day, but in some sense, it's still unnecessary

Favorite Brands:
1997: Nike, Adidas, Fila
2007: DEATH TO CONSUMERISM!!!!!!!!!!!!. Kidding.

Form of Expression:
1997: Telephone
2007: Blog. I noticed that I no longer have any patience on the phone. I used to be able to talk on the phone for long periods of time. Now I can't. Has this happened to anyone else?

Okay, I think that's enough to give you a detailed, nuanced picture of myself. I'm not sure I've really changed all that much, but you're free to disagree.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember Dina from Salute Your Shorts? She turned out to be pretty hot. Almost as hot as Kristin Kreuk. But there will never be another Tia Carrerre. Kelly Hu might be the closest. I really liked China Chow; it's a shame she never became more popular. I liked the Big Hit too, very underrated movie.

Anyways, glad to see your back posting. It's the one bright spot in my otherwise dismal life.

Eric Ma said...

I do remember Dina from Salute Your Shorts, but what do you mean "turned out to be pretty hot"? Where did you see her?

Eric Ma said...

Oh also, totally agree about China Chow. A unique appeal, that one.

Anonymous said...

Heidi Lucas played Dina. She only had bit roles after Salute Your Shorts, but you can find pictures of her online.

I Wiki'd her to get all this info.

You know, YouTube is nice, but I couldn't live without Wikipedia.

Unknown said...

I just bought season 2 of "The Office" on DVD. It was the best $40 I've ever spent.

vishal said...

but people born in the 1990s can drive now. that doesnt make you feel old? as for tv shows, while im a little puzzled why you didnt pick friday night lights (i know, it already got blog love, but its way better than the office) i suggest you watch dance off, pants off on fuse. quite possibly one of the most entertaining concepts for a tv show ive seen in years. AND its hosted by stephanie tanner from full house.

Eric Ma said...

dance off, pants off is sure to be good because of the title. i really liked that story where the real life stephanie tanner became a meth addict and the full house cast had an intervention. it was just like a very special episode, only if it was tv, it would be like sniffing glue or something, but in real life, it escalates to meth

I love The Office. I love Friday Night Lights too, it's just a different kind of love. I could do a whole 8,000 words on Friday Night Lights, but no one would understand what the hell I was even talking about.

Anonymous said...

pants off dance off is a terrible show...i don't think there's a screening process for the dancers. you should list your top five shows from both eras, not just one.

vishal said...

yeah the screening process might be lacking, but the concept is pretty great

Anonymous said...

so why does the adidas logo have three stripes?

Eric Ma said...

not exactly sure why the logo has 3 stripes - the explanation was in german...