Monday, January 2, 2012

A Trip To The Chinese Market

Whenever I’m back in LA, at some point I end up with my parents at Chinese supermarkets. The Chinese supermarket experience is magical, and honestly, it’s better than Disneyland.  People have been afraid to say that, but not me. I’m not scared of you, Disneyland. Anyhow, a photo tour for the uninformed:
 Look at how pretty her lips are, must be from drinking a LOT of instant coffee.

This is an Australian king crab, but it reminded me of the boxes of blue crabs they sometimes have. As a kid/last year, I loved poking them with tongs and seeing which crab jumped the highest. Someone got all upset with my “animal cruelty” at which point I tried to make something up about how crabs have exoskeletons, so they don’t have any pain receptors. I should have told the truth which was, “Poking crabs is a hilarious good time.”

My favorite kind of fiesta. The Danish kind.

 Don’t eat the non-edible beef blood, it’s not good. Stick to the edible blood.

 The Cordyceps Fungus isn’t even one of the 10 most expensive fungi in the store.



I immediately bought 14 of these. My favorite thing about this might be the label at the top – “Communicate Everywhere”, evidently marketing the pearl earpick as a substitute to satellite phones.

 I never know what this means.

Regular supermarkets maybe sell like one footstool. The Chinese market invariably has its own footstool section. Is it wrong that I chuckle when I see this? I think it’s probably okay.




When I was little, my friend Ali had a pet turtle. It cost $110 from the pet store. My dad couldn’t believe Ali got his parents to pay roughly $250/lb. for a turtle when the going rate at the time was only $7.99/lb. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

turtle soup is so good

Jacks said...

The Danish Fiesta is one of my favorites, too!

Hill. said...

i cant wait to see your next entry in 2014. it's gonna be monumental. as in huge. big, if you will. what i'm trying to say is i'll probably read it. if i have time. but no promises.

heman said...

ha. this was a great post. i love asian supermarkets...and girls. asian girls in supermarkets. or an asian supermarket of girls d/b/a adult spa

shidoni said...

Asian taste chicken broth is so much better than American taste chicken broth.

Eric Ma said...

It's probably because the Asian chickens do more homework.

Ali K. said...

In hindsight, the turtle was not a wise investment...I'm going to watch that kid throw up again now