Friday, December 5, 2008

Asian Adventures, Vol. II

My white friends are always surprised to learn that a lot of Asian guys don't wear deodorant. I myself do not wear any, because I hardly sweat, and even when I do, I smell like a fresh meadow.

At dinner the other night, Ben (an Asian guy) was telling a funny story about how one time on a date, he totally misheard a question and responded with, "No, I don't wear deodorant." Katie, who is white, immediately had a combo surprised/appalled look on her face, and interrupted to ask, "Wait, you don't wear deodorant?" Without even the slightest hint of embarrassment, Ben replied "Nah, don't wear any." I quickly chimed in that I also don't, and a third Asian guy at the table coolly confirmed that he also never wears deodorant. The barrage of confirmations definitely startled Katie, and Ben continued on with his story, but I could tell Katie was still deciding if she was okay with the sudden realization that most Asian guys don't wear deodorant.

I would like to take this moment to confirm that 1) it's true, most Asian guys don't wear deodorant and 2) it's because we always smell like fresh meadows, regardless of the situation. (Except for really fobby Asian guys, who have that really fobby smell. I never knew what it was from, but Steve informed me that it's due to mothballs.) So if you're a non-Asian girl out there, and you've been hesitant around Asian guys for fear of BO, rest assured. We smell great.

5 comments:

madphoenix50 said...

Well, I occasionally do not smell like crisp mountain air. I blame it on the horrible American diet though. You smell like what you eat.

madphoenix50 said...

Where the freak is Asian Adventures, Vol. I

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA....so glad i found your blog! and so true, ben and i were talking about it the next day.

Anonymous said...

i'd just like to say that in hapa mixes, it seems the asian side is B.O.-dominant until 5 years post-puberty. Then the non-asian side somehow organizes a coup and becomes B.O.-dominant, thus necessitating a hitherto unneeded trip to the deodorant section of the local rite-aid.

Eric Ma said...

that was fascinating