Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Paying Attention

Due to an influx of work, I was only able to sleep a couple hours a day the past few days. It brought me back to finals period in college, where the back-to-back all-nighter was commonplace for so many of my friends. I did it a few times - I always used to hear about people pulling ridiculous hours whenever they needed to - but more often than not I needed regular food and sleep, and just couldn't focus that long. My attention span is below average (I often lose focus on conference calls, etc.) and when I was in school I just assumed everyone had massively better attention span and focus with greater stamina for studying than I did.

So imagine my surprise when a couple months ago, I officially became the last 23 year old on the planet to learn that a LOT of people who don't have ADD take Ritalin (or some competing equivalent) to stay awake and super focused while they cram all night. I had literally NO idea this happened when I was in school. I only even knew this was possible because of a Desperate Housewives episode I saw back when I watched that show, where Felicity Huffman takes Ritalin and cleans her house all night until it's spotless and everyone loves her, but she ends up self-destructing and crying next to a soccer goal.

I guess it's a logical thought process - Ritalin helps ADD kids pay attention, if I take it, my focus will be incredible. My mind just somehow doesn't drift to those kinds of areas. Anyways after I found this out, I started asking people - every single person I asked told me of course they knew people did this, they knew people who did, or even tried themselves. I felt like a caveman or something..."so this is what you mean when you say 'a fork'...ohhhhhh".

My procedure when I had to pull an all-nighter cramming was to go to the Wa at midnight, buy a can of Pringles and a 2 liter bottle of Coke, and slowly drink the coke and eat the Pringles all night. By the time I was done, I had like 32 days of sodium intake and 3 cavities, but it worked well enough. Then I would buy a 20 oz. Coke on the way to the test, just to have a drink if I felt myself falling asleep during the test. After I went through all this, I felt like complete ass for about 15 hours. I can't even imagine what the after effects of Ritalin would feel like. I guess I could use Felicity Huffman as an example, but that is potentially not very accurate.

I'm not trying to bash the people who used/are using Ritalin - not really my place to judge/care - if you think that's an appropriate level of risk for what you are aiming to achieve, that's your choice and I'm not making it my business. I'm more alarmed, though, that I had no idea that this was even happening, even as it happened all around me. It's sad to realize you're not nearly as savvy as you think.

7 comments:

madphoenix50 said...

Hmm, I must have been living in the same cave. Only one of my friends used Ritalin in college and he has ADD. Everyone's drug of choice was caffeine.

Of course I am a little older than you and maybe Ritalin blew up much like the cell phone did.

vishal said...

this is the first time im hearing of this as well. however, i never pulled an all nighter in college either

Amy said...

there is rarely a time when i know something that eric ma does not. this is one of those times. and i know NOTHING about trends amongst the kids.

Anonymous said...

the not above this comment box says i can use some HTML tags, so i'm going to try them right now.

what i really wanted to say is that you shouldn't feel unsavvy; until you told me, i didn't know that girls check out guys' watches and make snap character judgments on the basis of their findings.

Anonymous said...

i should tell you that i wrote the above comment, tried to publish, and was told that i couldn't because the tags were not closed. i then googled html tags because i had no idea what that meant.

in short, you have helped me put of my thesis for a good 5 minutes.

Anonymous said...

"I'm so excited, and I just cant hide it"

-Jesse Spano

(but to be fair, I think those were caffeine pills - but i bet she was using crystal meth on the side, how else would she have made the decision to ruin her career and be in "showgirls")

Eric Ma said...

"I'm so...I'm so...I'm so SCAREDDDD"