Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Less Poop Collecting

Allison was telling me about how she wanted a dog, but didn't have the time and energy to take care of one full time. I feel like I hear that sentiment an awful lot, and I'll confess that even though I am supportive of dog-eaters (I remain firmly behind that statement), I too have wanted to play with a dog, but don't have the necessary time or maybe willpower to really become a dog owner. Allison floated the idea of renting pets, and I think that sounds like a decent business idea. I would do this - get to play with a dog or go for a walk or impress chicas - with less poop collecting or vaccinating or sofa destruction.


There's plenty of holes with the idea, and I guess it has high start-up costs (training to accept rental strangers for quick periods of time, operating a physical store, vaccinating and licensing dogs) but I think if executed well, you could turn this into a profitable business. You could even offer an option to buy after the rental, and I bet some lonely folks would get incredibly attached to their rental dog instantly, and be willing to pay through the roof to have the dog forever. That sense of attachment is what a pet store tries to create instantly - here, we let you take a test drive, and only get more attached. And if you like a certain dog, you can try to keep renting the same dog, but you run the risk of someone else swooping in to buy your dog, so that pressure might force you into making a defensive move and buying the dog before someone else does. I think the rental prices will just barely break even, but I think the permanent sales would be the major upside here. (By the way I don't mean dogs as a timeshare setup - you won't rent out your own dog to strangers - these dogs will belong to the rental company).

Anyways, if you don't have a dog, but sometimes think about getting one, mull this idea over. I know I would be interested in this. But maybe I'm insane.

9 comments:

david santos said...

Hello!
This work is very good, thank you
have nice week

Anonymous said...

Proposed reward system - the good ones get fed, the bad ones get eaten

Towely said...

I would definitely rent a dog

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or does this whole concept remind anyone else of prostitution? Two quotes in particular:

"And if you like a certain dog, you can try to keep renting the same dog..."

I've definately heard that one before...it's a good advertising point.

"I bet some lonely folks would get incredibly attached to their rental dog instantly, and be willing to pay through the roof to have the dog forever."

"Dog" -- Sure...

Stop pretending to speculate, Eric. You know it's a profitable business.

Twiggy said...

Interesting idea...rent a dog..hehehe..
At least where you live people actually "pick-up" after their dogs. Around my place, most people just let their dog poop whereever they like e.g in front of my house, then walk on like nothing happens. Only a rare few actually "pick up" after their pups

Eric Ma said...

www.petsorfood.com

madphoenix50 said...

Yeah, there's a ton of people who don't pick up poop.

I like the idea, but I couldn't imagine renting a dog, when I could just borrow a friend's dog. They would gladly let me take care of it for a while.

Julius said...

You should market to desperate single guys or girls that just want a dog to take to the park in order to pick up dates. You could probably charge extra for these "dating dogs." After a while you can have testimonials about how "Rex" or "Fido" has helped x number of people find dates. I can see it now...you'll be like that guy on the E-Harmony commercials.

Unknown said...

mmmm...freshly clubbed baby seal