Friday, January 25, 2008

My Whole World Has Basically Been Shattered

Previously, I've expressed my love for the old American Gladiators, which you can still see on ESPN Classic. I was excited as anyone else when I heard NBC was bringing it back to the airwaves. I tuned in to a couple of the new episodes, and while they're decidedly worse than the old episodes (words can't describe how awkward Hulk Hogan and Laila Ali are as hosts), I was still entertained. Further excitement was generated when Vish told me a good friend of his was going to be a contestant on the show.

Well, Vish attended the tapings, and has the whole inside scoop on how it all goes down. Suffice it to say, I don't even know what to believe in anymore. I really loved the unabashed "these guys are on a whole lot of steroids" culture of American Gladiators, and the games were fun, and the competition seemed genuinely intense.

Now, thanks to Vish's insider expose, I now know it's pretty much only a couple levels above pro wrestling.

You can read all about it here, but if you're a fan of the show, don't say you weren't warned.

Oh and also, I'm very scared of NBC now. Like, terrified.

9 comments:

vishal said...

haha the competition itself is still all real. its just edited and twisted into being, in nbc's eyes, something "more" but those 30 seconds in the joust, thats real.

i too am afraid of the peacock. so much so that i debated whether or not to even write such an expose in the fear that one of your many readers passes it on to someone who knows someone who slept with the brother of the roommate of someone who once played golf with someone who once watched a movie with a person that works at nbc, and then id get sued.

Anonymous said...

maybe it's just me, but in the picture for this post, the chick at the bottom on the right half just looks kinda overweight, not really muscular or even toned. i guess standards fell when they realized there were only 5 ridiculously fit women on massive amounts of steroids in the world, and marketing research indicated that only a show with 6 women would succeed in today's gladiator sector.

Anonymous said...

meanwhile, the chick in the middle just cut me with her psoas

Anonymous said...

that's right bitch, i can hyperlink in html.

vishal said...

haha actually, that chick in the bottom right is an mma figther and without the corsett, she is
quite fit.

Anonymous said...

holy crap. i stand corrected.

Juka said...

If you guys are killed mysteriously by agents of the peacock, can I have your stuff?

vishal said...

speaking of gladiators that just might be too big to be gladiators... the girl on the right with the joust stick.. yeah, she doesnt look like the epitome of fitness.

vishal said...

watched tonights episode with a couple contenders...new information added. check it out.