Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Worst Song Ever

Due to the writers’ strike, I’ve been watching a lot more VH1 lately. Last night, I happened to catch songs 80-61 of “The 100 Greatest Songs of the 90s”. Now normally when I watch some retrospective on VH1, like “One-Hit Wonders” or “I love the 70s”, I have little to no clue what is going on. But last night, much to my chagrin, I recognized every single song. I need to invent some way to stop getting older. I guess Roger Clemens (vindication!) would say that it already exists, and is called HGH.

Anyways, one of the 100 Greatest Songs was Will Smith’s “Getting Jiggy Wit’ It”, a song that angers Richard to no end. He thinks it’s the worst song of all time, but that’s far from the case. Curiously, though, the worst song of all time IS by Will Smith, he just made it a couple years later in 1999. This song is so atrocious, I don’t even know where to start.

It possesses an absurdly bad chorus, sung by K-Ci of K-Ci and Jo-Jo “All My Life” fame. I’ve noticed devout Christians tend to be very big fans of “All My Life”. I often wonder if it bothers them that K-Ci likes to expose his genitals in front of kids. Must be one of those “like the art, don’t like the artist” sort of things. Anyways, here’s the chorus, reprinted in its entirety. Try not to get confused as you read.

Here it comes another year
Come on everyone, new
millennium
Here it comes another
year
Everyone, new millennium


As for the lyrics, Will Smith’s parts are so G-rated Sesame Street fans would be bored. The video, meanwhile, is an expensive disaster trip through time (presumably the millennium, although to Will Smith, the millennium seems to have started in 1929), flush with hilarious antics and “celebrity” cameos (Bill Bellamy! I guess Tommy Davidson and David Alan Grier were too busy). The coup de grace comes as Will enters “the future”, as he does this stomp-walk while wearing both a “futuristic” headpiece that eliminates all peripheral vision and a heavy metal jockstrap.

Here’s the glorious first verse, so you can rap along with Will:

Here it comes the party of a lifetime
31st of December
Man I remember when
the ball dropped for 90
Now it's 9-9, ten years behind me
What's gonna happen?
Don't nobody know
We'll see when the clock gets to 12-0-0
Chaos, the cops gonna block the street
Man who the hell cares?
Just don't stop the beat
No time to sleep, yo it's on tonight
K-C you feeling me right? (Yeah)
2-0-0-0, the Will 2 K
The new millennium, yo excuse me Willennium


And now ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the greatest moment of the Willennium, Will2K!



I dare you to name a worse song than this.

10 comments:

Hill. said...

I'm pretty sure you're just trying to incite anger with the labeling of this as the worst song ever, because i can think of at least a dozen that are way worse, including:

Popozao - Kevin Federline

My Humps - The Black Eyed Peas

Disco Duck - Rick Dees

The Macarena - Whothehellcares

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer - I dont know but it's a christmas song, so it's like 29 times worse because you know come december you'll hear it at least twice

Don't Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin

Hill. said...

oh yeah, and I also hate

Bootylicious - Destiny's Child
and
The Boy Is Mine - Brandy

I'm sure that Vanilla Ice has some songs worse than Will Smith too, but for Ruttenberg's sake I won't put him on my hatelist

Hill. said...

here's wikipedia's take on this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_English_labeled_the_worst_ever

Eric Ma said...

I don't think of Kevin Federline as a legitimate commercial endeavor. And the Macarena isn't an American commercial endeavor. My Humps and Bootylicious are sort of in the same bucket as Will2K, those have a fair case.

I think it's unfair to include anything disco - that's a love/hate sort of thing. I also hate it, but disco is its own category.

I don't know the grandma song.

The Boy is Mine and Don't Worry Be Happy aren't even in the 100 worst songs ever. Actually, I don't even think "The Boy is Mine" is a bad song.

Hill. said...

Kevin Federline was the ultimate legitimate commercial endeavor gone bad. His label didn't abandon hope and spin him as a parody until after the Nationwide commercial he was in (which, incidentally, was hilarious). And the Macarena was a ginormous American commercial endeavor, remixed and given English lyrics specifically to appeal to an American audience in '95.

Disco Duck isn't even what i'd call a disco song, which I think should automatically make it eligible for worst song ever. and i like the beegees.

dude how have you never heard the grandma song? look it up. you will have daymares for weeks-- that's nightmares during the day where you have the song in your head.

Don't Worry Be Happy is on there because of those stupid singing/talking fish that were popular for a little while for people to scare their guests when they went to the bathroom; the fish would start singing, causing men to miss the tiolet bowl. hilarity rarely ensued.

"The Boy is Mine" is a bad song. I don't have any other arguments for this statement, so you win that one.

Eric Ma said...

I'll add that several of the songs you mention are essentially gimmick songs - I don't think that was in any way intended with Will2K.

Anonymous said...

mims is proud that he sell a mill saying nothing on the track.

little did he know will smith was perfecting the art of retard rap 10 years before him

Unknown said...

i think we've found our entrance song for the wedding.

vishal said...

id rather listen to this will smith song than to my humps.

Anonymous said...

I don't entirely understand your reasoning behind hating this song so much.

The music is just a rip of 'Rock the Casbah', which I don't think you would consider to be in the running for one of the worst songs ever, even if you hate The Clash or the political connotations.

And, the lyrics are just unoffensive. Did you expect something profound? They're not obnoxious or poorly delivered, like so many other songs you could have written about, a component I feel is much worse.

Is it because you expected so much more from the "Jiggy Wit It" guy? Is "Willennium/Will2K" really any worse than "Big Willie Style"? And does a bad name/gimmick and a bad video make the song bad?

In the end, even if you hate it, you won't hear it again for about a thousand years. That's gotta count for something.